There’s nothing like waking up to a warm bowl of oatmeal on a cold day. I have to admit, when I first heard about adding egg whites to oatmeal I was very curious about the end result. I never thought it would be one of my go-to breakfast options going forward!
I’m always shocked to hear that people still buy the packets of instant oatmeal. Not only are these made with very high glycemic oats, they often have too much salt, sugar and leave you hungry an hour or two later.
The key to a balanced breakfast is getting the right balance of protein, fibre, healthy fats and fresh whole fruit (or veggies!). This bowl can come together in under 5 minutes and knocks off each of these categories quite well:
- ½ cup large flake oats
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup frozen blueberries
- ½ cup egg whites
- OPTIONAL TOPPINGS: cinnamon, greek yogurt, almond milk, stevia, honey or maple syrup, fresh berries, pumpkin seeds, hemp hearts or mixed nuts
- Measure out oats, water and blueberries in a bowl and microwave for 2 minutes.
- Add the eggs whites and cook for another 1.5-2 minutes, until the egg whites have cooked.
- Top with greek yogurt, cinnamon, stevia and almond milk.
- Use other seasonal fresh fruit and nuts/seeds for toppings if you like!