I can’t let October slide by without adding at least one pumpkin recipe! I’m sure some of you encounter the same problem as me….you open a jar of pumpkin puree to bake a pie, pumpkin muffins or whatever Insta-spiration you find and you’re left with 1/3 of a can of jarred pumpkin. What to do?!?!
When I make pumpkin-based recipes I’m always making 1-3 different things all at once just to use the jar up. Of course with Halloween around the corner there’s going to a lot of pumpkins either making their way into compost bin or perhaps those that have “time” might consider baking them for consumption 🙂 Just remember that the smaller pumpkins will have more sweetness & flavour compared to the large carving pumpkins. It’s definitely a lot easier to just open a can of pumpkin when you’re short on time!
I digress…back to the remaining pumpkin scenario. Instead of always baking sweet treats with the pumpkin, here’s an idea for a healthy make-ahead breakfast that is simple, convenient and delicious!
- 2 cups milk of choice (unsweetened vanilla almond)
- ⅓ cup pumpkin puree
- 3 medjool dates (or 2 T maple syrup)
- 1 cup oats
- 2 T chia seeds
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ tsp pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon
- pinch salt
- 1 apple, sliced *optional, but recommended
- 2 T hemp hearts *optional
- Blend all the ingredients until smooth EXCEPT the oats, pumpkin spice and chia.
- Grab 2 mason jars or bowls, measure out ½ cup oats in each and add 1 T chia + ¼ tsp pumpkin pie spice to each. Pour the liquid on top. Stir or shake well until completely mixed.
- Leave in your fridge overnight or for up to 3 days if you're doing some meal prep in advance.
- Garnish with sliced apples and hemp hearts for added protein.
- Other optional garnishes: dates, pecans, walnuts, extra milk or sweetener if needed.