One pot weeknight meals are a life saver at this time of the year (or really anytime of the year)! This protein-rich, plant-based Coconut Sweet Potato Lentil Curry came together in 30 minutes and turned out WAY better than I expected.
Coconut Sweet Potato Lentil Curry
This comforting curry is the perfect antidote for a cold winter night! A creamy, one-pot meal that is filled with plant protein and antioxidant rich vegetables and spices.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Cuisine: One Pot Meal
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 shallot, diced
- 3 Tbsp freshly grated ginger
- 1 Tbsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 1.5 cups red lentils (rinsed)
- 1 can (398 ml) chickpeas, rinsed (or 1.5 cups cooked)
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, diced
- 4–5 large handfuls of spinach
- 1/2 lemon, squeezed (or 5–6 drops lemon essential oil)
- Heat the coconut oil in a large pot and add the the shallot and onion. Cook for 5 minutes until the onions are translucent.
- Add the garlic, ginger and spices – curry powder, cumin and turmeric.
- Add the red lentils, chickpeas, sweet potatoes, vegetable broth and coconut. Bring to a boil on medium heat.
- Simmer for about 20 minutes until the lentils and sweet potatoes are softened.
- Stir in the spinach and lemon at the end, right before serving.
- TIP* The smaller you dice your sweet potatoes, the faster they will cook.
- Provides warmth and comfort on cold, wet winter nights
- Yummy lunch leftovers
- Less mess to clean up with everything going into ONE pot
- A high fibre, nutrient dense meal that has a good mix of protein, fats, carbs and antioxidant rich vegetables.
- Just a few of the reasons I LOVE one-pot curries such as this one!