Lentil Yam Stew
Recipe type: One Pot Meal
Serves: 6 servings
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 T curry powder
- 2 tsp turmeric powder (or 1-2 tbsp freshly grated)
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 cup red lentils
- 2-3 medium yams, chopped
- 9 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tsp pepper
- salt to taste
- kale, spinach, avocado, cilantro or something green as optional toppings!
- Saute onion, garlic and olive oil in a large pot.
- Add seasonings, quinoa, lentils and yams and cook until everything is well coated with the curry powder and turmeric.
- Pour in broth and bring to a boil. Simmer for an additional 25-30 minutes or until the lentils have fully cooked.
- Add salt and pepper (or hot peppers flakes) to taste.
- Top your hot soup with your greens of choice.
If you plan on using fresh turmeric, NAILS and COUNTERS BEWARE! Turmeric root has very potent plant chemicals that stain everything in its' sight! Your best bet is to wear gloves so you don't end up with orange nails!
Serving size: 1.75 cups Calories: 322 Fat: 5 g Saturated fat: 0.5 g Carbohydrates: 59 g Sugar: 6 g Sodium: 487 mg Fiber: 10 g Protein: 13 g Cholesterol: 0 mg
One pot meals like this one are my go-to most days. This stew is super simple, without too many ingredients or steps. The sweetness from the yams balances the earthy turmeric curry flavours, and you end up with a delicious savoury stew – perfect for weekly meal prep.
Amp up the nutrition by adding some greens on top. This photo features some baby kale drizzled with lemon tahini dressing.