This is truly the ONLY vegetarian chili recipe that you’ll need!
Chili is a GO-TO for our family year round. One-pot meals like this are great for batch cooking and make for delicious leftovers (AKA. “plan-overs”). This is perhaps the MOST made recipe in our house. I started making this recipe in my early university days and it’s been going strong for 20 years now. Did I just give away my age 😉 ?!?!Print
Best Vegetarian Chili
Hearty, comforting and well balanced. This veggie forward chili recipe is all you need! Just the right amount of spice and everything nice. A simple one-pot meal well suited for anytime of the year.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2–3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4–5 stalks celery, diced
- 1 yellow/orange bell pepper, diced
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 796ml can, diced tomatoes
- 490 ml can kidney beans, rinsed well
- 1 cup corn kernels (canned or frozen)
- 1 cup water
- salt and pepper to taste
- Optional Toppings: sour cream or greek yogurt, chives/green onions, diced avocado, salad greens, cilantro
- Heat oil over medium heat in a large pot
- Add the onion and cook for 3-5 minutes, or until translucent.
- Add the garlic, celery, peppers, zucchini and spices. Stir together and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Next, add the tomatoes, rinsed kidney beans, corn and water. Bring to a boil and then reduce to the heat to a simmer. Cover with a lid and cook for an additional 10-15 minutes to allow the flavours to come together.
- Serve over brown rice, quinoa, greens, with fresh corn bread or keep it lower carb and eat it au natural.
- Keep it simple, or use your toppings of choice!
**If you’re using no salt added beans and/or tomatoes you will want to add 1/2-1 tsp salt
Keywords: chili, vegetarian chili, one-pot meal, easy dinner, vegan, gluten free, well balanced, easy meals, simple meals