This is going to sound like a super cliche dietitian comment, but there is just something about the combination of roasted SQUASH & KALE that I adore.
As its’ name suggests, this particular squash is very delicate, sweet and tender.
Enter the unique and fabulous DELICATA SQUASH!!! Sadly it doesn’t stick around for too long (aka. short season), but if and when you find this gem, buy a bunch. They do last a few weeks on the kitchen counter and you may want to make this salad more than once 😉
Roasted Delicata Squash & Kale Salad
This sweet and delicate squash does not disappoint. It is easier to cut that most squashes and makes this salad super colourful and tasty. Make it a main, or serve it as a side dish.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: salad
- 1–2 delicata squash(es), halved and cut into “U” shaped slices
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 bunch kale, stemmed and cut into pieces
- 1/4 cup farro
- 2/3 cup vegetable broth (or water)
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/3 cup lemon tahini dressing
- 1 green apple, sliced
- Heat the oven to 425 F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.*
- Cut the squash in half lengthwise, and scoop out the seeds. Slice the squash into 1/2 inch pieces and place the “U”-shaped pieces on the baking sheet. Drizzle with oil and salt, ensuring each piece has enough space around it to promote crisping
- Roast for about 12-15 minutes and then turn each piece before roasting for the final 10-15 minutes (depending on how thick or thin you’ve sliced the squash – the thinner pieces will cook faster).
- Make the lemon tahini dressing in a blender or mini food processor.
- Massage the dressing into the kale and let sit as the squash is roasting.
- Cook the farro***. Bring the broth (or water) and farro to a boil and simmer for about 10-15 minutes. Drain any excess fluid and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile measure out the remainder of the ingredients. When the squash is roasted and the farro has cooled, assemble the salad.
*Skip the parchment paper and use this amazing baking sheet from Pampered Chef. It’s worth its’ weight in gold 😉
**Make it a meal by adding roasted chickpeas, tofu or grilled chicken.
***If you do not have farro, you could add cooked quinoa or keep it grain free and add hemp seeds instead!
Keywords: delicata squash, squash salad, squash and kale salad, best fall salad, fall harvest salad, kale salad, lemon tahini dressing, hearty fall salad