- watermelon, ½ medium or 4 cups diced
- feta cheese, 1 cup crumbled
- avocado, 1 medium diced
- fresh mint, ¼ cup sliced
- arugula, 4 cups
- balsamic glaze, drizzled *optional
- Dice the watermelon and avocado into cubes.
- In a large bowl or individual serving plates, assemble all the ingredients as you like.
- This salad is very flavourful on it's own, The balsamic glaze drizzled on top is a nice finished touch!
To make this a meal, consider adding extra vegetables (tomatoes, corn, edamame) and some protein (chicken, chickpeas or seared ahi tuna).
You know summer is coming when watermelon is front and centre in the grocery store! Of course watermelon is delicious and refreshing all on its’ own, but consider using it in a salad.
Simply combine your diced watermelon with feta, mint and avocado and add any fresh greens you have on hand to add some volume. Watermelon also makes an easy dessert salad combined with other seasonal fruit such as blueberries, strawberries, raspberries and peaches. The options are endless.
Remember, salads should NOT be BORING. Think of incorporating different flavours: sweet, savoury, creamy, crunchy and even spicy if you like it.
If you’re using higher fat toppings like cheese, nuts and avocado, just be sure to go light on any oil or added dressings. Balsamic glaze is an excellent option with concentrated sweet flavours and little fat or calories.