Who’s still in the mood for some pumpkin? With the American Thanksgiving coming up this weekend, us Canadians can join in the food fun too. These bars make an absolutely delicious dessert or snack. Time to break out the pumpkin again!
Going through my recipes, I realized that it’s been quite some time since I did a dessert post. I wouldn’t be true to myself if I pretended I never canada goose Freestyle Vest ate sweets! My day is certainly not complete without something a little sweet. Feel free to indulge somewhat guilt-free with these bars. There is no butter, grain-flour or refined sugar, yet remain super moist and just as delicious. The only problem is that you may not be able to stop at just one
I picked up one of these mini “Pie Pumpkins” across the border at TJ’s, although we do grow these locally in BC. The smaller pumpkins tend to be more sweet and quite frankly much easier to handle. Most certainly the smarter choice when it comes to home baking.
Pumpkins are a 2-for-1 vegetable. Not only do you get the super nutrient-dense flesh, but also the seeds that can be roasted! To make your own homemade pumpkin puree:
Preheat oven to 325-350 degrees F. The lazy method involves simply placing the pumpkin (whole – no cutting necessary) on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and letting the oven do its’ magic for about 45 minutes. Once baked, it’s very easy to cut the pumpkin in half, scoop out the seeds and use the flesh in baking. If you’re using fresh baked pumpkin for any of the below recipes, I would recommend giving it a spin in a blender canada goose Heli-Arctic Parka mænd or food processor to smooth it out.
- ¾ cup creamy almond butter
- ½ cup pumpkin puree (canned or home-made)
- 1 overripe medium banana
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp coconut flour
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅓ cup chocolate chips and/or walnuts, optional
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray an 8x8in square baking dish with cooking spray.
- Place almond butter, pumpkin, banana, maple syrup, and vanilla in a medium bowl. Stir until well-combined.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, stirring until smooth.
- Pour into prepared baking dish, smoothing with a spatula. Bake for 30 minutes or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
I love to get inspired from other foodies. Check out Alexis at Hummusapien for more ideas and food-inspiration!