- 3 large chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
- 3 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ cup lime juice, freshly squeezed (about 1-2 limes)
- ½ cup cilantro, freshly chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ½-1 tsp salt
- 2 avocados, diced
- 2 mangoes, diced
- 2 bell peppers, sliced
- 4 beets, cooked and sliced
- 6 cups spinach or mixed greens
- OPTIONAL: crushed red chili flakes, green onion, additional cilantro, feta or goat cheese (1-2 T)
- Whisk marinade ingredients together to combine. Pour half of the marinade into a shallow dish to marinate the chicken fillets for at least 15 minutes (ideally a few hours). Refrigerate the reserved untouched marinade to use as a dressing.
- Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat and grill chicken fillets on each side until golden, crispy and cooked through. Once the chicken is cooked, set aside and allow to rest.
- Combine the mango, avocado and optional green onion in a bowl to make a mango-salsa. Add in two tablespoons of the reserved dressing to the salsa. Set aside.
- Slice chicken into strips and prepare salad with leaves, sliced peppers, beets, cheese and mango salsa. Top with the chicken strips. Drizzle with remaining dressing and serve with (optional) extra cilantro, red chill flakes and balsamic glaze.
In the spirit of cinco de mayo, I had to post something with avocado! This salad screams MEXICO – the mango, avocado, cilantro and lime complement each other perfectly. Make sure you don’t forget to marinate the chicken for at least 15 minutes (see below)
Make the marinade ahead of time, or simply meal prep some other items while the chicken is marinating.
I often get the comment that “salads are boring” or “salads aren’t filling”. I promise you that this is neither boring nor unsatisfying. Sure if you always have the same lettuce, tomato and cucumber salad with plain chicken – it will become boring very quickly! The key is flavourful protein, healthy fats and lots of COLOUR.
My salad philosophy is to make it as eye-appealing as possible by adding as many toppings (fruit, vegetables, cheese, nuts etc.) to fill it out and make it a full meal.
I promise this one will not disappoint! Enjoy