Cauliflower Crust Pizza……10 years ago people would think this was just “weird”.
Although the cauliflower crust concept is certainly not a new phenomenon here in Vancouver, I think the trend is here to stay!
Cauliflower Crust Pizza
This might be best pizza crust I've ever made. I would recommend making 2 at the same time because it will go quickly!
Recipe type: Pizza
Cuisine: Vegetarian, Low Carb, Grain & Gluten Free
Serves: 8 slices
- 1 cauliflower, large
- 1 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese (15% MF), grated
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs
- ½ tsp oregano
- ½ tsp red chili flakes *optional
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- **other optional seasonings: garlic powder, basil, onion powder
- Heat your oven to 425 F. Line a baking tray or pizza tray with parchment paper.
- Wash and chop the cauliflower into chunks. Place in a large food processor and blend until it is almost a puree. If you don't have a food processor, use a box grater.
- Place the finely chopped or grated cauliflower in a large bowl and microwave for 6-9 minutes. Allow to cool and drain out any excess water (this step is VERY important to avoid soggy crust). Another option is to use a steamer basket to cook the cauliflower.
- Mix in the eggs, cheeses, seasonings and stir well.
- Pour the cauliflower mixture onto your baking pan and flatten out.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
Feel free to experiment with different cheeses in the crust. I have also used goat cheese with success. The vegan option would likely include a chia/flax/water mix to substitute for the egg and almond meal to bind the cauliflower. Play around with it and see what you like!
This recipe is a great alternative for anyone following a gluten free, lower carb or ‘grain-free’ diet. Personally, I’m not a huge fan of thick, white and doughy pizza crust. I figure the carbohydrates you save in the crust could be put towards dessert or a glass of wine 😉