Carrot Cake Banana Bread
- DRY INGREDIENTS
- 1½ cups whole wheat flour
- ½ cup oats
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- WET INGREDIENTS
- 3 very ripe bananas, mashed (about 1.25 cups)
- 1 egg
- ½ cup coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 heaping cup grated carrots
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ¼ cup applesauce
- ⅓ cup milk of choice (I used soy milk)
- ⅓ cup chopped pecans (or nut of choice)
- CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- 1 package cream cheese (8 oz)
- 1 cup powdered icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ¼ tsp cinnamon (optional)
- pecans to garnish *optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Coat a 9 x 5 " loaf pan with oil, cooking spray or butter. Alternatively, use 2 sheets of parchment paper to prevent the loaf sticking to the pan.
- Whisk the dry ingredients together in a large bowl - whole wheat flour, oats, salt, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Mash the bananas in a medium bowl.
- Add the egg, coconut sugar, vanilla and combine until creamy.
- Next, add the applesauce, milk and mix well.
- Fold in the carrots.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until JUST COMBINED. Do NOT over mix.
- Lastly, fold in the coconut oil and nuts.
- Pour into prepared baking pan and bake for 40-45 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool for 15 minutes before removing the loaf from the pan.
- CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- Use a hand held or standing mixer to whip/beat the cream cheese. This is best done if the cream cheese is closer to room temp. Slowly add in the powdered sugar, vanilla and optional cinnamon. Beat for at least 2 minutes, or until smooth. Once the loaf is completely cool, spread the frosting evenly across the top and garnish with chopped pecans.
You will most definitely have double the amount of frosting you need for this loaf. Feel free to cut the frosting recipe in half and use the frosting for another recipe. You could also double the loaf recipe and frost both loaves. It will last in the freezer for at least 2-3 months.
I’m always looking for new ways to use overripe bananas! This loaf is a cross between two of my favourites: carrot cake and banana bread! It tastes like an indulgent treat, but it is healthy enough to be a snack It is naturally sweetened with applesauce, bananas, carrots and coconut sugar (although you could substitute brown sugar).